Monday, March 16, 2015

Something New

In an effort for my family to truly know each other I put 200+ conversation starters into a jar today. Tonight my husband, son and daughter sat around the kitchen table and answered several questions. Before everyone ran off to do their own thing, a normal occurrence in a household with a fireman and two teenagers, we laughed and talked. I've found that as the kids are getting older it is harder to find the time to sit and eat dinner as a family. When they were young we did it every night. NO watching TV in while we ate, or taking our plate to separate rooms to "hang out". We sat together and talked about our day, or got a little loud and crazy telling stories. I miss those times. So I started the "Family Dinner Questions" jar. It may take some getting use to, especially for my 18 year old son who tends to keep everything inside. But I think this is going to be an exercise that makes a close family even closer. Just because four people live in the same home does NOT mean that they truly know each other. This should help to change all that.

Here is a sample of the types of questions we have to answer: 
Can someone be “educated” if they never went to college ? Explain.
Robert Frost wrote “Freedom lies in being bold,”. Tell about a time you had to be bold.
Talk about the most difficult transition that you have ever experienced.




 
 
 
 
By trying this exercise my family and I are not only divulging our ideals to each other, we have to do so to ourselves. Sometimes it takes a deep question, or two, to get a person thinking about who they are and what they want in life. Some of the questions ask us to list what we like most about ourselves, or what we like least. The answers one chooses can reveal a lot.
I cannot wait for dinner tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment